How do you know we are in a mental health crisis? Record-high suicides means we need to pay attention.
Suicide rates in the United States have been increasing since 2006. The highest number of people on record ended their lives last year. For many of us, it’s difficult to understand that 50,000 people killed themselves because they felt like life was no longer worth living:
That’s 1 suicide every 10 minutes.
Donig a mental health check-in means showing someone that you care. It also means:
- Raising awareness abut the importance of mental health
- Knowing the 988 suicide hotline and sharing the number with others
- Checking in on people so that they are not isolated
- Following up with people to see how they are doing AFTER you check in on them
- Learning how to support others in the best way possible
Mental health is everyone’s responsibility.
As interconnected beings, we are all impacted by each other ‘s mental health challenges. If you see someone in pain, say something. You don’t have to be an expert to try to help. You can also give them the 988 number to call so that they can talk to someone right away.
Photo credit: 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline