Latest posts by Angela D. Coleman (see all)
- Van Jones Interviews Oprah and Ava:What Sisterhood Activism Looks Like - March 12, 2018
- How Men Can Support Women’s Empowerment - March 6, 2018
- How Trauma Can Spark Activism - March 2, 2018
Chaos is surrounding you. Tempers are flaring and everyone is on edge. They are rushing, losing patience, and generally, not happy. The world seems to be falling apart. What do you do? Here are 10 ways to keep calm and maintain your cool, no matter what.
- Prioritize safety. Your safety is the top priority. You can only begin to move forward with your life once you are free from danger.
- Change your expectations. It would be nice if people treated others better, however, some people do not. When we stop expecting others to be more like us, we are disappointed less often.
- Go inward. If the outside is a mess, bring your thoughts to yourself. What are you doing here and what can you be doing instead? Examine your options.
- Focus on breathing. When we get upset or stressed, we tend to restrict our breathing, even hold our breath. Breathe deeply and slowly while you figure things out. This will reduce anxiety.
- Prioritize. What is the most important thing you can do for yourself right now? This is where your energy goes. Right now.
- Concentrate on one thing and do it. By channeling your energy on one important, pressing goal, you can focus and make big changes quickly.
- Let go. Do not cling to the past and accept the things that you cannot change right now. Focus on what you can do instead.
- Recruit allies. It is difficult to navigate this world alone. There are others who share your views. Find them and stick together.
- Trust your intuition. Even if it makes no sense at the time, do what your instincts instruct you to do. Always.
- Change your environment. If you cannot make changes in your environment, change your environment. In other words, leave and go somewhere better. It is a sign of intelligence to know when it is time to leave.
And remember, never let them see you sweat!