Breast cancer is a tumor that starts in the cells of the breast, and if not treated early, it can kill. This disease mainly affects women but men can also get it, too. Detecting early signs of breast cancer will not only benefit your personal being, but benefit your body, mind, and soul, as well.
Read amazing facts about breasts. Here are steps to determining breast health:
- Look in the mirror with your hands at your side. Rest your palms on your hips and press firmly to flex your chest. Look for dimpling, puckering, or changes particularly on one side.
- Raise your arms over your head and look for any changes in the contour. Example: Swelling, dimpling, changes in the nipples.
- Lie down and place a pillow under your right shoulder, then rest your right arm behind head.
- Use your left hand and move the pads (index,middle,ring fingers) around your right breast gently in small circular motions. Don’t forget to cover all around your breast (below your collarbone and beside your armpits).
- Try to use light, medium, and firm pressure when examining. Squeeze your nipple to check for discharge or lumps. Then repeat steps on left breast.
- Feel up and down your breasts casually building pressure after each set. Feel for changes from top to bottom and side to side. Cover your entire breast and make you don’t miss any tissue.
- If you have an abnormal lump, check with a medical professional.