The Curly Girl Method (CGM) is every curly girl’s salvation. Basically, it’s all about treating your curls with the ultimate respect. Love your curls and they will love you back.
I’ve had curly hair all my life and to be honest, it has always been a pain. In my country, 90% of the population has naturally straight hair. So, straight hair is the norm.
If you’ve ever visited the Philippines, you would see countless advertisements showing only straight-haired girls. Shampoo commercials show girls with long silky straight hair like it’s the most perfect thing in the world. I have never seen a single advertisement showing a curly-haired girl as a model.
Also, beauty salons offer an array of straightening treatments for curly and wavy-haired girls like me. So to belong, I have been straightening my hair since grade school, hiding its real beauty and form. (Sorry hair.)
I now realize that this way of growing up to prefer straight hair is true not just for me in the Philippines, but for other women from other countries, too.
If you have hair like mine, you would understand how frustrating it is to style it. You want it to look neat but you end up looking like you just got out of bed, despite styling it for hours.
At last, a solution…
The Curly Girl Method (CGM). It all started when Lorraine Massey wrote the best-selling book, Curly Girl: The Handbook.
What’s in it? It’s a set of do’s and don’ts for curly hair, the ingredients to avoid, and products that will enhance and promote the natural curl of your hair.
Imagine a beautiful butterfly finally ready to spread its wings showing off its real beauty after years of hiding.
This method will accentuate and make your curls more luscious than it’s ever been. Many people have actually said they didn’t even know how curly their hair was before doing the C.G.M.
When you apply the CGM, it means you have to rule out heat, silicon, brushes, combs, and anything that messes with your natural curl pattern.
It’s a whole new different concept of taking care of your hair. When I first read about this, I was shocked beyond disbelief! “For real?! So all these years I’ve been using products that conceal the real form of my curls? What?”
So, if I stop using these harmful products on my hair, it’s real form will come out? And the answer is yes!
However, it’s not going to happen overnight. Thousands of success stories are the best proof of all. Several facebook groups and support communities prove that it is effective, too.
Now, you won’t get the entire details without buying the book but we did our research for some of the do’s and don’ts and how you can get your “real” curls. Are you ready?
The Curly Girl Method Dont’s
- Don’t wash your hair more than three times a week.
- Don’t use hair products that have sulfates (any ingredient that ends with “-ate”)
- Don’t use heat, hot air blow dry, hair iron, etc.
- Don’t brush or comb your hair, use a large-tooth comb and only do this while you’re in the shower to work the conditioners down.
- Don’t use products with alcohol and artificial fragrance.
- Don’t use towels that are not microfibre, they rough up the hair cuticle and cause lots of frizz – no matter how gentle you are.
- Don’t dye your hair. However, this may be an exception because many people do it and still manage to have healthy curls. But do further research before doing it.
The Curly Girl Method Do’s
- Co-wash- it’s a term that originated from the book, it means conditioner washing/cleansing. You use a cleansing conditioner which is a CG-approved brand. Or, use a cleansing conditioner that’s lighter than regular conditioner, without the harmful chemicals that dries and strips your hair and has natural oils.
- Use a CG approved shampoo.
- Massage your scalp by using your fingers or a scalp brush. This lifts any build-up, oils, or residue.
- Use natural oils (coconut oil and shea) and lighter oils such as jojoba, olive, and grapeseed
- Scrunch the products into your hair. This encourages the curl pattern instead of brushing the products through your hair.
- Use a microfibre towel to dry your hair or a cotton towel.
Is the Curly Girl Method intended only for curly hair?
Nope! The good news is you can use this whatever hair type you have whether curly, straight, coily, kinky, or damaged.
You can give your hair a damage-free routine with the CGM. The best thing about this method is that you can customize it.