We are hearing more about problems with gluten and the benefits of gluten-free foods. Gluten is a protein found in wheat and other grains like barley and rye. What makes them harmful is that they are often used in common foods that our bodies have trouble digesting.
What you should know:
- In many countries, wheat is a GMO (genetically modified organisms) that has been genetically altered to make it more resistant to pests, viruses and drought, and to improve its shelf life. GMO’s have been linked to many health dangers.
- Holistic health experts recommend that we follow our ancestor’s diet when it comes to eating healthy. This is particular important for people who have intolerance to food items like cow’s milk.
- Avoiding gluten reduces your intake of carbohydrates and processed foods, which can help you lose weight.
- Like sugar and fructose syrup, gluten is often used as a filler in foods for bulk, flavor, and preservation. It is often hidden in foods where you would not think it will be. Unless it is labeled “gluten-free,” read the ingredients carefully.
- Eating a lot of gluten has been linked to medical conditions such as food allergies, irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, and celiac disease.
Eating genetically modified gluten on a daily basis is hard on our digestive systems. Luckily, many “ethnic” foods are naturally gluten-free and delicious!